No Result
View All Result
Mobile
Subscription
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
中文
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
Sky Eco News
No Result
View All Result

Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible

Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible

A woman walks past an anti-U.S. billboard depicting U.S. President Donald Trump and the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack against Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington, and that there was now a “very good chance” of reaching a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear program.

After Iran sent the U.S. a new peace proposal, Trump said he had instructed the U.S. military that “we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

No such attack had previously been announced, and Reporters could not determine whether preparations had been made for strikes that would mark a renewal of the war Trump started in late February.

Under pressure to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has previously expressed hope that a deal was close on ending the war, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if Tehran does not reach a deal.

In his post, he said the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had requested that he hold off on the attack because “a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond.” He did not offer details of the agreement being discussed.

Speaking to reporters later, he said the United States would be satisfied if it could reach an agreement with Iran that prevents Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy,” Trump told reporters gathered for an unrelated announcement.

Trump’s post on calling off an attack came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views had been “conveyed to the American side through Pakistan” but gave no details.

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the sides in the war in the Middle East since hosting the only round of peace talks last month, had shared the latest proposal with Washington. But the source suggested progress had been difficult.

The sides “keep changing their goalposts,” the Pakistani source said, adding: “We don’t have much time.”

IRAN REMAINS DEFIANT

Iran remained defiant in statements issued on state media after Trump’s announcement, warning the U.S. and its allies against making any further “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” in attacking Iran, while contending the Iranian armed forces were “more prepared and stronger than in the past.”

Iran’s top joint military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, said Iran’s armed forces are “ready to pull the trigger” in the event of any renewed U.S. attack, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency.

“Any renewed aggression and invasion … will be responded to quickly, decisively, powerfully, and extensively,” the commander of Khatam al-Anbiya, Ali Abdollahi, was quoted as saying.

The Iranian peace proposal, as described by a senior Iranian source, appeared similar in many respects to Iran’s previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as “garbage”.

It would focus first on securing an end to the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz – a major oil supply route that Iran has effectively blockaded – and lifting maritime sanctions.

APPARENT SOFTENING BY WASHINGTON

In an apparent softening of Washington’s stance, the senior Iranian source said on Monday that the United States had agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds – totalling tens of billions of dollars – held in foreign banks. Iran wants all the assets released.

The Iranian source also said Washington had shown more flexibility in agreeing to let Iran continue some peaceful nuclear activity under supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The U.S. has not confirmed that it has agreed to anything in the talks.

Iran’s Tasnim news agency separately quoted an unidentified source as saying the U.S. had agreed to waive oil sanctions on Iran while negotiations were under way.

Iranian officials did not immediately comment on Tasnim’s report, which a U.S. official, who declined to be named, said was false.

A fragile ceasefire is in place after six weeks of war that followed U.S.-Israeli airstrikes on Iran, although drones have been ​launched from Iraq ​towards ⁠Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and ⁠Kuwait, apparently by Iran and its allies. Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Monday condemning a drone attack on Sunday, in which Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that entered the country from Iraqi airspace.

(Reporting by Timothy Heritage and Simon Lewis;)

Post Related

Five dead, including two suspects, after shooting at San Diego mosque

Five dead, including two suspects, after shooting at San Diego mosque

Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing three men outside the...

Maduro regime ally Saab charged with money laundering, DOJ says

Maduro regime ally Saab charged with money laundering, DOJ says

Venezuelan official Alex Saab, a Colombian-Venezuelan businessman and ally of former President Nicolas Maduro, was charged with money laundering in...

Greenland says US talks make progress but island is not for sale

Greenland says US talks make progress but island is not for sale

Greenland's government said on Monday that progress has been made in high-stakes talks with the United States over the territory's...

Philippines to convene court for VP impeachment amid political turmoil

North Korea’s Kim calls to make border with South Korea an ‘impregnable fortress’

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well...

North Korea’s Kim calls to make border with South Korea an ‘impregnable fortress’

Philippines to convene court for VP impeachment amid political turmoil

The Philippine Senate was due to convene as an impeachment court on Monday that could decide the future of Vice...

UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents as Iran war deadlock drags on

UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents as Iran war deadlock drags on

A drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates, officials there said on...

Top news

  • Trump says he paused attack on Iran, signals a nuclear deal may be possible
  • Five dead, including two suspects, after shooting at San Diego mosque
  • Maduro regime ally Saab charged with money laundering, DOJ says
  • Greenland says US talks make progress but island is not for sale
  • IMF raises UK outlook but warns political turmoil could hurt growth
SKY ECO NEWS

© 2024 SEMG.

About Us

  • Chinese Emassy, London
  • Embassy of the United Kingdom
  • Xinhua
  • People’s Daily
  • China Daily
  • GlobalTimes
  • The Times
  • BBC

Message

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper

© 2024 SEMG.