No Result
View All Result
Mobile
Subscription
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
Friday, May 8, 2026
中文
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
Sky Eco News
No Result
View All Result

Israeli airstrikes kill at least 31 people in Gaza, medics say

Israeli airstrikes kill at least 31 people in Gaza, medics say

A Palestinian child is vaccinated against polio during the second round of a vaccination campaign, amid the Israel-Hamas conflict, in Gaza City, November 2, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

Israeli airstrikes killed at least 31 people in the Gaza Strip on Sunday, Palestinian medics said, with nearly half of the deaths in northern areas where the army has waged a month-long campaign it says is aimed at preventing Hamas from regrouping.

Palestinians said the new aerial and ground offensives and forced evacuations were “ethnic cleansing” aimed at emptying two northern Gaza towns and a refugee camp of their population in order to create buffer zones. Israel denies this, saying it is fighting Hamas militants who launch attacks from there.

Medics said at least 13 Palestinians were killed in separate attacks on houses in Beit Lahiya town and Jabalia, the largest of the enclave’s eight historic camps and the focus of the army’s new offensive.

The rest were killed in separate Israeli airstrikes in Gaza City and in southern areas, including one in Khan Younis, which health officials said had killed eight people, including four children.

Later on Sunday, health officials at the Kamal Adwan Hospital near Beit Lahiya said the facility came under Israeli tank fire and that one child hospitalized at the hospital was critically wounded.

Hussam Abu Safiya, the hospital’s director said the incident took place after a delegation from the World Health Organization visited the facility and evacuated some patients.

He said while evacuating the wounded was important, it was more important to dispatch specialized medical teams to north Gaza hospitals that have become overwhelmed by the number of casualties.

Abu Safiya said the tank fire hit the water supplies, the courtyard, and the neonatal intensive care unit.

COGAT, the Israeli army’s Palestinian civilian affairs agency, said the explosion resulted from an explosive device planted by Palestinian militants and not an Israeli attack.

“The terrorist organizations continue to exploit civilian infrastructure, medical facilities, and international aid organizations for their terror activities,” a COGAT statement said late on Sunday.

Hamas has repeatedly denied using civilian facilities such as hospitals, schools, and mosques, for military purposes.

On Saturday, the Israeli military sent a new army division to Jabalia to join two other operating battalions, a statement said. It said hundreds of Palestinian militants have been killed in the “battles” since the raid began on Oct. 5.

Meanwhile, COGAT said it facilitated the launch of the second round of a polio vaccination campaign in northern Gaza on Saturday and that 58,604 children have received a dose.

The Gaza health ministry said Israel’s military offensive in northern Gaza was stopping them from vaccinating thousands of children in Jabalia, Beit Lahiya, and Beit Hanoun.

It said one clinic had come under Israeli fire while parents brought their children for the anti-polio dose on Saturday and that four children had been injured.

‘CEASEFIRE!’

The head of the World Health Organization said in a statement the clinic incident took place despite a humanitarian pause agreed upon by the two warring parties, Israel and Hamas, to allow the vaccination campaign.

“A @WHO team was at the site just before. This attack, during a humanitarian pause, jeopardises the sanctity of health protection for children and may deter parents from bringing their children for vaccination,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a post on X on Saturday.

“These vital humanitarian-area-specific pauses must be absolutely respected. Ceasefire!” he said.

The Israeli military, which had no immediate comment on Tedros’ remarks, said it was checking the report about the clinic.

A larger ceasefire that would end the war and see the release of Israeli and foreign hostages held captive in Gaza as well as Palestinians jailed by Israel remains remote due to disagreements between Hamas and Israel.

Hamas wants an agreement to end the war permanently, refusing recent offers for temporary truces, while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says war can only end when Hamas is eradicated.

The war erupted after Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages back to Gaza, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel’s retaliatory offensives have killed more than 43,300 Palestinians and reduced most of Gaza to rubble.

(Reporting and writing by Nidal al-Mughrabi)

Post Related

South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president

South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president

South Korea's martial law scandal is set to loom large over local elections in June that will test whether opposition...

Zelenskiy says Russian war commemoration ceasefire shows ‘strange logic’

Zelenskiy says Russian war commemoration ceasefire shows ‘strange logic’

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday that Russia's proclamation of a limited ceasefire for its World War Two commemorations...

US and Iran exchange fire, but Trump says ceasefire still in effect

US and Iran exchange fire, but Trump says ceasefire still in effect

The United States and Iran exchanged fire on Thursday in the most serious test yet of their month-long ceasefire, but...

Australia charges two women linked to ISIS with slavery after return from Syria

Australia charges two women linked to ISIS with slavery after return from Syria

Australian police said on Friday they had charged two women linked to the Islamic State extremist group with slavery offences...

Russian attacks kill 27 before deadline for ceasefire proposed by Kyiv

Russian attacks kill 27 before deadline for ceasefire proposed by Kyiv

Russian attacks throughout eastern Ukraine killed at least 27 people on Tuesday, including 12 in one of the worst strikes...

UK’s Princess of Wales to visit Italy in first overseas trip since illness

UK’s Princess of Wales to visit Italy in first overseas trip since illness

Kate, Britain's Princess of Wales, will travel to Italy next week for her first official overseas visit since undergoing treatment...

Top news

  • UK builders hit by biggest surge in cost inflation in nearly four years
  • UK government wins Supreme Court appeal over Northern Ireland legacy law
  • UK police arrest man for allegedly threatening former Prince Andrew, Telegraph reports
  • UK police make third arrest over attempted arson at London synagogue
  • South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president
SKY ECO NEWS

© 2024 SEMG.

About Us

  • Chinese Emassy, London
  • Embassy of the United Kingdom
  • Xinhua
  • People’s Daily
  • China Daily
  • GlobalTimes
  • The Times
  • BBC

Message

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper

© 2024 SEMG.