No Result
View All Result
Mobile
Subscription
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
Friday, May 8, 2026
中文
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
Sky Eco News
No Result
View All Result

Hezbollah rockets land near Tel Aviv after large Israeli strike on Beirut

Hezbollah rockets land near Tel Aviv after large Israeli strike on Beirut

Petah Tikva, Israel, November 24, 2024. REUTERS/Itai Ron

Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement fired heavy rocket barrages at Israel on Sunday, and the Israeli military said houses had been destroyed or set alight near Tel Aviv, after a powerful Israeli airstrike killed at least 29 people in Beirut the day before.

Israel also struck Beirut’s Hezbollah-controlled southern suburbs, where intensified bombardment over the last two weeks has coincided with signs of progress in U.S.-led ceasefire talks.

Hezbollah, which has previously vowed to respond to attacks on Beirut by targeting Tel Aviv, said it had launched precision missiles at two military sites in Tel Aviv and nearby.

Police said there were multiple impact sites in the area of Petah Tikvah, on the eastern side of Tel Aviv, and that several people had minor injuries.

The Israel Defense Forces said a direct hit on a neighbourhood had left “houses in flames and ruins”. Television footage showed an apartment damaged by rocket fire.

Israel’s military said Hezbollah had fired 250 rockets at Israel, of which many were intercepted, with sirens sounding across most of the country. At least four people had been injured by shrapnel.

Video obtained by Reporters showed a projectile exploding as it smashed into the roof of a building in the northern Israeli city of Nahariya.

Israel’s military warned on social media that it planned to target Hezbollah facilities in southern Beirut before strikes that demolished two apartment blocks, according to security sources in Lebanon. Afterwards, the IDF said it had hit command centres “deliberately embedded between civilian buildings”.

On Sunday, the Israeli military said it carried out strikes against 12 Hezbollah command centers in the southern Beirut suburb of Dahiyeh.

On Saturday, it had carried out one of its deadliest and most powerful strikes on the centre of Beirut.

Lebanon’s health ministry on Sunday raised the death toll from 20 to 29. It said a total of 84 people had been killed on Saturday, taking the death toll to 3,754 since October 2023.

The IDF did not comment on Saturday’s strike in the Lebanese capital or say what it had attacked.

Israel went on the offensive against the Iran-backed Hezbollah in September, pounding the south, the Bekaa Valley and Beirut’s southern suburbs with airstrikes after nearly a year of hostilities ignited by the Gaza war.

CEASEFIRE PROPOSAL AWAITS ISRAEL’S RESPONSE

The Israeli offensive has uprooted more than 1 million people in Lebanon.

Israel says its aim is to secure the return home of tens of thousands of people evacuated from its north due to rocket attacks by Hezbollah, which opened fire in support of Hamas at the start of the Gaza war in October 2023.

U.S. mediator Amos Hochstein highlighted progress in negotiations during a visit to Beirut last week, before travelling to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz, and then returning to Washington.

European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell on Sunday said a U.S. ceasefire proposal was awaiting final approval from Israel.

“We must pressure the Israeli government and maintain the pressure on Hezbollah to accept the U.S. proposal for a ceasefire,” he said in Beirut after meeting Lebanese officials.

Israeli media reported that Netanyahu had convened a meeting of his security cabinet for 5 p.m. (1500 GMT).

Axios reporter Barak Ravid in a post on social media cited an unnamed Israeli official saying that Israel is moving towards a ceasefire agreement in Lebanon.

But a separate report from Israel’s public broadcaster Kan said there was no green light given on an agreement in Lebanon, with issues still yet to be resolved.

Diplomacy has focused on restoring a ceasefire based on U.N. Security Council Resolution 1701, which ended a 2006 Hezbollah-Israel war. It requires Hezbollah to pull its fighters back around 30 km (19 miles) from the Israeli border, and the Lebanese army to deploy in the buffer zone.

The Lebanese army said on Sunday at least one soldier had been killed and 18 more injured in an Israeli strike that caused severe damage at an army centre in Al-Amiriya near the southern city of Tyre.

The Israeli military said it regretted the incident and was investigating, and that it was fighting against Hezbollah, not the Lebanese Army.

Lebanon’s caretaker prime minister, Najib Mikati, said the attack “represents a direct bloody message rejecting all efforts to reach a ceasefire, strengthen the army’s presence in the south, and implement … 1701”.

Borrell said the EU was ready to allocate 200 million euros ($208 million) to support the Lebanese army.

(Reporting by Laila Bassam)

Post Related

South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president

South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president

South Korea's martial law scandal is set to loom large over local elections in June that will test whether opposition...

Zelenskiy says Russian war commemoration ceasefire shows ‘strange logic’

Zelenskiy says Russian war commemoration ceasefire shows ‘strange logic’

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday that Russia's proclamation of a limited ceasefire for its World War Two commemorations...

US and Iran exchange fire, but Trump says ceasefire still in effect

US and Iran exchange fire, but Trump says ceasefire still in effect

The United States and Iran exchanged fire on Thursday in the most serious test yet of their month-long ceasefire, but...

Australia charges two women linked to ISIS with slavery after return from Syria

Australia charges two women linked to ISIS with slavery after return from Syria

Australian police said on Friday they had charged two women linked to the Islamic State extremist group with slavery offences...

Russian attacks kill 27 before deadline for ceasefire proposed by Kyiv

Russian attacks kill 27 before deadline for ceasefire proposed by Kyiv

Russian attacks throughout eastern Ukraine killed at least 27 people on Tuesday, including 12 in one of the worst strikes...

UK’s Princess of Wales to visit Italy in first overseas trip since illness

UK’s Princess of Wales to visit Italy in first overseas trip since illness

Kate, Britain's Princess of Wales, will travel to Italy next week for her first official overseas visit since undergoing treatment...

Top news

  • UK builders hit by biggest surge in cost inflation in nearly four years
  • UK government wins Supreme Court appeal over Northern Ireland legacy law
  • UK police arrest man for allegedly threatening former Prince Andrew, Telegraph reports
  • UK police make third arrest over attempted arson at London synagogue
  • South Korea heads to local elections under shadow of disgraced former president
SKY ECO NEWS

© 2024 SEMG.

About Us

  • Chinese Emassy, London
  • Embassy of the United Kingdom
  • Xinhua
  • People’s Daily
  • China Daily
  • GlobalTimes
  • The Times
  • BBC

Message

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper

© 2024 SEMG.