No Result
View All Result
Mobile
Subscription
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
Thursday, May 21, 2026
中文
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper
No Result
View All Result
Sky Eco News
No Result
View All Result

Vance or Rubio for 2028? The White House briefing room edition

Vance or Rubio for 2028? The White House briefing room edition

U.S. Vice President JD Vance speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., May 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

The White House press briefing room has emerged as an informal audition stage this month in the intensifying race of who will succeed President Donald Trump in 2028.

Taking the podium on Tuesday, two weeks after a similar appearance by possible rival Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Vice President JD Vance used the historic venue primarily to impress an audience of one.

Filling in for press secretary Karoline Leavitt, who is on maternity leave, Vance spent nearly an hour fielding questions from reporters on a wide range of topics, defending Trump’s increasingly unpopular Iran war and the newly created $1.8 billion slush fund to compensate Trump allies who believe they were politically prosecuted.

He declined to rule out using taxpayer money to compensate people convicted of assaulting police officers during the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, dismissed European concerns over Washington scrapping ​troop deployment to Poland as overblown, and called a reporter’s suggestion that Trump’s recent stock purchases raised corruption concerns “absurd.”

Vance delivered his answers in a mostly measured manner, a contrast to Trump’s more confrontational style, and at times seemed bemused as reporters who packed the room shouted and talked over one another for his attention.

“Marco’s right, this really is chaos,” Vance said.

Both men are seen as contenders for the 2028 Republican nomination, and Rubio’s recent turn at the White House podium drew praise from Republicans and even ⁠some Democrats who noted his smooth performance, which included quips and a 1990s hip-hop reference to describe Iran’s negotiating position.

Asked by reporters on Wednesday whose performance he liked better, Trump gave a diplomatic answer.

“I think they both did great,” he said. “Both very good men.”

‘PERFECT TICKET’

Trump has continued to fuel ⁠the succession talk even as both Vance and Rubio downplay their 2028 ​ambitions. At a Rose Garden dinner last week, the president polled guests on his possible successors.

“Who likes JD Vance?” he asked. “Who likes Marco Rubio?”

Both questions drew strong applause. Trump said the two men running together would make “a perfect ticket” but indicated it was still way too soon to make a call between them.

“That does not mean you have my endorsement under any circumstance,” he added.

Rubio’s aides were quick to turn one of his briefing answers into a campaign-style video, fueling further speculation of a presidential bid. The State Department-produced video showed Rubio saying he hoped America would be a place where “anyone from anywhere can achieve anything.”

At their respective briefings, Vance and Rubio each defended the administration’s handling of the Iran war, a tricky topic that is eroding Trump’s support and is expected to loom over their political futures.

Since it began on February 28, the conflict has shut down a large chunk of the global oil trade, sending U.S. gas prices about 50% higher ‌and raising ⁠alarm among Republicans defending congressional majorities in the November midterm elections.

In a Reporters/Ipsos poll published on Tuesday, Trump’s presidential approval rating fell to nearly its lowest level since he returned to the White House, with many Republicans souring on his handling of Americans’ cost-of-living concerns.

The poll, conducted between May 15-18, showed some 34% of Americans have a favorable view of Vance and 33% said the same of Rubio. In January 2025, 42% of respondents in a Reporters/Ipsos poll said they had a favorable view of Vance.

A former Marine who has long argued against U.S. entanglements in foreign wars, Vance tried to reassure Americans grappling with high prices that the conflict won’t last long.

“This is not a forever war,” he said. “We’re going to take care of business and come home.”

When a reporter referred to Vance as “a potential future candidate,” he rushed to correct her.

“I’m not a potential future candidate,” ​he said. “I’m a vice president, and I really like my job, and I’m going to try to do as good of a job as I can.”

(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk; )

Post Related

Colombia’s ELN rebels, FARC dissidents announce ceasefire for presidential election

Colombia’s ELN rebels, FARC dissidents announce ceasefire for presidential election

Colombia's Central General Staff, the largest dissident branch of the former Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group, and...

Bolivia plans cabinet shakeup amid protests, dismisses Colombian ambassador

Bolivia plans cabinet shakeup amid protests, dismisses Colombian ambassador

Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz on Wednesday said that he would reshuffle his cabinet in response to weeks of nationwide protests...

How Trump’s revenge tour against Republicans could cost the party in November

How Trump’s revenge tour against Republicans could cost the party in November

Sixteen months into his second presidency, Donald Trump may be as unpopular as he's ever been among the American electorate...

US removes UN expert Francesca Albanese from sanctions list

US removes UN expert Francesca Albanese from sanctions list

The United States has removed Francesca ​Albanese, a U.N. expert on the ‌Palestinian territories, from its list of sanctioned individuals,...

EU strikes provisional agreement to finalise US trade deal

EU strikes provisional agreement to finalise US trade deal

The European Union struck a provisional agreement on Wednesday on legislation to remove import duties on U.S. goods, a key...

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Iran says peace proposal includes reparations for war damage, US troop withdrawal

Tehran's latest peace proposal to the United States involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of U.S....

Top news

  • Generali beats first-quarter estimates, maintains 2027 targets
  • Nvidia bets on new data center chips for growth as sales outlook tops estimates
  • SpaceX IPO filing lays bare losses and Musk control as it stakes future on AI
  • Colombia’s ELN rebels, FARC dissidents announce ceasefire for presidential election
  • Bolivia plans cabinet shakeup amid protests, dismisses Colombian ambassador
SKY ECO NEWS

© 2024 SEMG.

About Us

  • Chinese Emassy, London
  • Embassy of the United Kingdom
  • Xinhua
  • People’s Daily
  • China Daily
  • GlobalTimes
  • The Times
  • BBC

Message

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Britain
  • China
  • Business
  • World
  • Culture
  • Opinion
  • Newspaper

© 2024 SEMG.